Monday, September 19, 2016

Are You Dining Alone?

Photo Credit The Refined Photo

This past Saturday, I woke up with the urge to just get out of the house.  So, I ended up catching the first showing of a movie I wanted to see, that started a few minutes before noon.  Yes, I go to the movies by myself.  The theater is only a few blocks from where I live so when the movie ended, a little after two o'clock, I walked back home.  I listened to some music to clear my mind and do some thinking.

After I arrived home while laying in bed I still couldn't shake the urge to leave the walls of my home and be outside.  The more I thought about what I could do I realized that I had a few extra dollars and that I hadn't taken myself out to dinner in a while.  So, I decided to go to dinner that evening.  I rested for a few hours and then prepared myself for a nice little solo evening out.  I showered and put on a little black dress and a pair of wedge heels.  I decided to dine at Ruth Chris Steak House (I am no cheap date).

I intended to have a table for one and work on some writing while people watching.  However, the hostess informed me that there would be a bit of a wait time and not wanting to wait thirty minutes for a table I was pleasantly guided into the lounge area of the restaurant where I took a sit.  I received a few stares from the male diners, but I paid them no mind.

After about ten minutes or less of being seated and having ordered a cranberry and club soda I was getting settled into the environment around me.  The gentleman seated behind me approached me and asked if I was dining alone and I said yes.  He made it known to me that he, too was eating alone and asked if he could join me at my table.  And I also replied yes.

I have no idea as to why I said yes.  An impromptu decision, I guess.  After introducing ourselves the awkward silence often shared between strangers began to linger, but didn't last long.  We talked about where we were from, our reason for being out that evening and we eventually switched gears to the presidential campaigns and politics and then settled on talking about love and relationships.  I shared with him that I write a blog regarding the matter.

He asked me what I thought about soul mates and if I thought they were real and he also asked me how a person should deal with a relationship where one person is being difficult or unreliable.  It was thought provoking dialogue for both of us.  He even asked me what "love looked like" to me, which caused me to pause for a moment because I had never thought about that before.  It also gave me an idea for a future blog post.

We both enjoyed our delicious meals, good conversation, but eventually it was time to depart.  We paid our separate checks and left the restaurant separately to continue with our individual night ahead.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Thanks for reading!
(John 3:16)


 

No comments:

Post a Comment