Saturday, January 31, 2015

Online Dating: Part 1



We have all seen the commercials of the happy couples all cozy on a couch talking about how they met their "soul mate" or "the love of their life" on blahblahlove.com.  I cannot say whether dating websites are a sham or not because I actually know someone that used Match.com and later this year she will marry the man she met online. 

Online dating sites are selling a dream.  The dream is that for us single people one day we will be that happy couple cozy on the couch telling maybe not millions of people, but someone that we have met a person that makes us so happy and we have someone to call our own.

I can definitely see how online dating can be a very useful tool.  A person is putting out there up-front (at least, if they are being honest) who they are, what they expect and what they are looking for in a potential mate or if they are looking for a mate at all.  Some people just want to have fun.  Determining who someone is and what they expect can take time to decipher in the normal world so that is one of the reasons millions of people click away at dating websites.

I use the app Tinder, but nothing has ever really come from using it.  I may communicate with one or two guys for a day or so and then it just fades.  In my opinion this is just another tool for self-gratification.  No one is really looking for someone they just want to confirm that they are attractive to many people. 

Maybe I should just bite the bullet, pick a dating website and make a dating profile.  If nothing else I will be exposed to people that I may not encounter in my daily life or if I do encounter them neither of us may not have the grit to approach one another.  However, I will keep you all posted on my decision and the outcome.  Stay on the lookout for Part II.

Thanks for reading!
(John 3:16)

No comments:

Post a Comment