Sunday, January 8, 2017

The Feeling of Peace



I've experienced the feeling of peace on many occasions, but I want to write about this one time in particular.  In our day-to-day lives we don't really think about peace until chaos begins to overwhelm us.  Peace is one of those things that you don't realize is missing until it is gone.

Last summer, I was on a plane and one thing you should know about me is I do not like to fly.  I do not necessarily have a fear of flying but I think about all the things that can go wrong that could have me possibly plummeting to the ground.  The only reason I do fly is because it is a fastest mode of transportation.  I suspect the reason for such awful thoughts is because I do not fly often and therefore have not developed a level of comfort with flying.

Usually minutes into a flight I become content with my temporary environment and I take my journal onboard in the hope that writing will distract me.  Nonetheless during this particular flight, the plane was already in the air and the turbulence started.  Normally when this happens I can just close my eyes and say to myself repeatedly "I'm in a car, I'm in a car, I'm in a car" because that's what being on a plane feels like to me with my eyes closed. 

However, this time that was not calming me down.  I began to pray and almost immediately peace rushed over me.  I had no more anxiety.


I remember thinking that maybe something tragic was about to happen and God was preparing me to meet my fate, but even that thought couldn't shatter my peaceful state.  Fortunately, nothing happened and I reached my destination safely.  What does peace exactly feel like?  I believe that peace can manifest itself in many different ways and therefore is different based on person and situation.

You know how during a thunderstorm the rain is falling heavily and it's dark and the wind is tossing and turning the Earth, then all of a sudden it all stops and the sun comes out and everything is quiet.  That is the best way I can describe how peace felt to me on that day. 

This seems like such a random topic to discuss, but perhaps this will help someone that comes across this post.  No matter how chaotic a persons life may be as long as they are living, peace can always be obtained.  Don't ever forget that.

Thanks for reading!
(John 3:16)

No comments:

Post a Comment