Monday, May 25, 2015

Interracial Dating: I Am Curious



I have always been a little curious as to what it would be like to date outside my race.  It is not taboo or uncommon anymore, but I just never took the plunge and now I am seriously considering it.  Growing up I didn't interact with a lot of people that were of different races.  From elementary through high school the schools that I attended were predominately black and I graduated from a historically black university (SCSU, Go Bulldogs!). 

The idea of trekking into the unknown of interracial dating gives me trepidation because I am very comfortable dating black men, but with a man of a different race I feel like I would be constantly thinking is he only dating me because I'm black and not because of who I am as a person in general.  Plus it requires me to step outside my comfort zone which can be uneasy because I would be dealing with a man that has a different background, different values and culture than what I am accustomed to. 

Normally, when I am out and about men of other races tend not to approach me and I don't approach them either probably because he's thinking that I'm thinking that I wouldn't be into him and I'm thinking that he doesn't like black women.  Now that I am trying my hand at online dating maybe it will be easier to transition into dating interracially.

I want to clarify that I am not giving up on black men and I am still open to dating them, but I simply want to explore other options that hopefully will lead to the type of relationship that I desire. 

As always readers I will keep you posted and thanks for reading.

(John 3:16)

No comments:

Post a Comment