Sunday, February 22, 2015

Dinner For One

Photo Credit The Female Quixote Studio | www.TFQstudio.com

Valentine's Day 2015 was my first Valentine's Day single in three years.  I was determined not to be bah hum-bug about it and make the most of the day.  I didn't have a designated valentine and honestly I didn't want one because I would have wanted to spend that day with someone special not just an option to fill a void.  I decided to get dressed up, smell good (of course) and take myself out.  Dinner for one.

I went to the restaurant, Oceanaire, in downtown D.C. and after checking my coat and receiving a few stares from the men that noticed my dress and hair I nestled in at the bar.  My intentions for going out were to people/couple watch and try a dish of shrimp and grits.  I didn't get a chance to try the dish, but I did people watch.  The happy couples enjoying each others company seated few and far between away from me and I was the only single person.

The bartender Elmer was nice, but he is paid to provide good customer service, but his attitude seemed genuine.  A less confident person would have felt awkward and out of place, but I didn't.  Although I am no longer a part of a happy couple that doesn't mean that I can't be happy for other couples that appear to be cheerful together.

So, two drinks and a shrimp cocktail later my night was winding down and rather successful.  Did I receive a great epiphany about love and life or meet the man of my dreams?  Nope, but I didn't sulk on one of the most romantic days of the year and I went into the cold February air feeling warm and buzzed.

Thanks for reading!
(John 3:16)

No comments:

Post a Comment