Thursday, December 17, 2009

My First Love


I remember my first love like it was yesterday. That's so cliché to say, but its true. I was a senior in high school when I got my first real boyfriend. We were in the same homeroom together and I thought he was so cute. I remember the day when I first thought he was cute. We were talking and he smiled. He had a great smile and he was dark skin. He didn't really like his complexion, but I thought it was beautiful.

I remember I told one of my friends that I liked him and she said he liked me too. I was surprised. The next day she got his number for me because I went on a school trip that day. It was a Friday and I remember talking on the phone with him that night and being so nervous. By the end of the weekend we were together. I was new to having a boyfriend so I didn't know how to go about things. The week we got together Valentine's Day was a few days away so we decided to exchange gifts. Nothing big because we didn't know each other like that so we got each other stuffed animals. We exchanged gifts at school, he got me a red dog and I got him a frog.

Also, for that Valentine's Day we decided to go to the movies. We walked to my house from school so he could meet my parents and then we went to the movies. I still remember the first movie we saw together it was Daredevil. He kissed me during the movie and I remember feeling happy and wondering where all this would go. We ended up being inseparable. Pretty much when you saw him you saw me and vice versa. The whole school knew we were together: teachers, students, principal, vice principal, literally everyone. Since there was a student who was a hater on the yearbook staff we were not voted cutest couple, but it didn't matter to us cause we and everyone else knew we were a cute couple.

When it came to our families they just embraced the both of us. My family loved him and his family loved me. It probably had something to do with the fact that we were always at each others houses. Me and him spent so much time together.

I don't want to go into too much detail about anything physical so I'll just put it like this: he was my first everything.

Going off to college was difficult for the both of us. He went to North Carolina A&T and I went to South Carolina State University. We would text and talk to each other every day and night. Our freshmen year he actually caught the Greyhound and came to see me in Orangeburg, SC. That would be his first and only visit. On breaks we would come back home to DC and spend so much time together. At one point my parents would go pick him up from North Carolina and take him back down there. It felt good riding in the car with him. Being sneaky touching one another.
We were together a year and a half and to this day that remains my longest relationship. We eventually broke up and for a while remained friends. As time went by we eventually went our separate ways and started living our individual lives.

He has a new girlfriend now and a son that I think is about one now. I finished up school and been looking for love. We are Facebook friends but I haven't talked to him in a long while.
The one thing I liked about my first love experience was that I was new to it and didn't have the baggage that comes with being with other people that have done me wrong. I hope to one day get back to that complete innocent love that I once had. I'm a believer in love.
To anyone who reads this if your not a believer I hope from my little story you become a believer in love too.

Thanks for reading!
(John 3:16)

1 comment:

  1. Hey, it's vBARBIEv from Twitter :+)

    I thoroughly enjoyed reading this! Well written, nice perspective.

    The innocence from first love never can never be experience again in its entirety, however there are definitely ways to bring pieces, even major pieces, of it back. As I've matured I've noticed one way of maintaing innocence is to be extremely careful of you you let in, which means being a good judge of character, setting standards, trusting your instincts, knowing when to let go, and knowing when something just isn't for you or good for you. I've managed to preserve my innocence, praise God. Currently I'm a tad jaded but I know that I will heal and that all of my future experiences and life lessons learned will allow me to return to my prior state. There will be no bag lady here, EVER.

    I'm a believe in love as well, so you have someone hoping right along with you :=)

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete