Sunday, March 19, 2017

Chapter One


You all may have noticed that I haven't posted in a few weeks.  Well, there is something that only a few people know and I am excited to finally announce it to the world. 

I have a boyfriend!!!

No, that is not a metaphor for something else, I actually have a real live man and we have officially been together for one month now. 

We met one random night back in December 2016 and at the time, I thought our encounter was just good random conversation between strangers.  When I gave him my business card and told him to check out my blog I anticipated not hearing from him or seeing him ever again.  To my surprise a few days later he sent me an e-mail with his phone number.  I guess I should mention that my business cards don't have my phone number on them, just my e-mail address. 

The first thing I noticed about him is he preferred to talk on the phone opposed to texting.  Our phone conversations were so organic and easygoing and not awkward or forced.  Near the end of our first phone conversation he made a statement that baffled me, but was also humorous.  He said, "I hope my intelligence doesn't overwhelm you"  I paused because I was perplexed that a person would say such a thing to me, but I simply shot back "I hope my intelligence doesn't overwhelm you."  We laughed.

I know that remark was arrogant and he does come across at times as arrogant, but he is also confident, sweet, loyal, extremely intelligent, honest, a good listener and overall ambitious.  We have so much in common and we think in such a similar manner more often than not.

It feels good to be in a relationship again.  However, it is not just the relationship itself, but the person that I am in the relationship with.  During the course of being single for almost three years I had my share of moments when I wanted to give up on love or thought that no other man would come along that could be my best friend.  I never gave up hope though and it has happened.  I can fully be myself around him and tell him everything and the same goes for him with me.

This new relationship doesn't only just feel good, but it feels adult and mature.  We have conversations about our future together and not just focused on presently being boyfriend and girlfriend.  We talk about marriage and buying a house and even having children together. 

With my excitement of starting a new relationship, I also have some fear and the dreaded what ifs fill my mind.  What if things don't work out? What if I end up single again?  What if he is not the man I think he is?  What if I'm not ready for a relationship because I have been single for a long time?  The list could go on and on.  I know it seems like I am jumping the gun because him and I have only been together a month, but I am going to choose to be happy because sadness will always have its day. 


Admittedly at first the relationship was moving fast, but it was more so him than me.  However, after him and I had multiple conversations and really communicated both our sides he started to scale things back a bit.  He made me more comfortable and our courtship progressed.  Yes, he was courting me.  I may explain in a later post the difference in dating and courting. 

Regardless, he did what most men I had previously been in relationships with, dated, etc. had never done.  He constantly and consistently proved to me that he is a viable candidate to not only be in a relationship with, but have a future with.

This new juncture of my life makes me happy, frustrated (at times), excited, loved (yes, the L word) and so much more.  Even though I prayed for a relationship and even had it listed as one of my goals for 2017 it was still unexpected.  Like I mentioned before I feel afraid, but I must push through the fear because I want this relationship to reach its fullest potential.  A relationship takes two people in order to make it successful.  So, it is no longer me, but we.

Stay tuned for Chapter 2.

***I would like to thank all of my readers for continuing to support and encourage me.  By just clicking on a post you are helping in a great way.

So, as always...

Thanks for reading!
(John 3:16)

No comments:

Post a Comment