Monday, May 2, 2016

Do People Want Love or Options?


I don't always want to think about love and relationships, but it never seems to fully escape my mind considering that I maintain a blog that is about, well, love and relationships.  The more and more I think about the subject, I ask myself, do people actually want to fall in love and be in a relationship?

In the United States, when it comes to marriage the divorce rate is so high that nearly half all marriages will end in divorce.  Then, there are websites like Ashley Madison, which encourage married people to have affairs with the company tagline being "Life is short. Have an affair."

In 2015, Ashley Madison was thrust into mainstream media at the center of a hacking scandal in which thousands of users information was compromised and made public.  This no doubt caused divorce attorneys to salivate over all the new clientele retainer fees they possibly would receive. 

Then, there is the rampant undocumented cheating that occurs daily from the physical to the emotional.  I am not addressing cheating in this post, but just pointing out that with the statistics it would seem that perhaps people don't want to be in relationships.

On the other hand, one could argue that people do want to be in relationships and find love because millions and millions of people not only sign up for online dating sites, but will pay subscription fees and hundreds participate in speed dating.  All with the hope of finding a significant other, but are people truly looking for love or just options?  Perhaps the idea of settling down with one person until death do you part is just an antiquated notion that has lost meaning.

Where does this leave me? 

I am a person that genuinely wants to fall in love, find "the one" and not only be in a relationship, but have a marriage.  I guess, this leaves me where I have always been, taking a risk, out on a limb for love. 

When a person decides to enter any kind of relationship there is a risk involved.  Pursuing love and a relationship can be scary especially against the odds of today, but in the game of love things can go either way, but just be honest with others and especially yourself about what you are truly looking for.

Thanks for reading!
(John 3:16)

No comments:

Post a Comment