Monday, May 9, 2016

Broke Man!

Photo Credit The Female Quixote Studio | www.TFQstudio.com

In today's society, materialism is high and everyone wants to compete with one another over the latest fashion labels, technology, events (parties, trips, concerts, etc.) and the list goes on.  Everyone wants to have the most likes on Instagram, retweets on Twitter and whatever approval of self gratification there is for SnapChat (I don't have SnapChat). 

There seems to be a societal disdain for the ordinary.  Everyone is striving for the "extra" ordinary and to be flashy just to impress people they don't like or people on the other side of an app that they may never meet.  So, if a person is not only striving to keep up with the Joneses, but the Kardashians as well, it could be hard for them to date.  The average person just doesn't have the monetary means.

Would I date a broke man?

When I use the term "broke" I am defining it as a man that is down-and-out when it comes to money, in some cases living check to check with a non-extravagant lifestyle.

I have never been in a relationship where I felt I was financially spoiled.  Yes, I have been taken to dinners and other meals bought for me.  Occasionally, I have been given gifts (birthdays and Christmases), but have I ever just been overwhelmingly lavished with gifts for no reason?  No. 

Honestly, I wouldn't know how to truly react to a man showering me with gifts.  I am a person that was so excited when I was finally able to pay my own bills and put my cell phone in my own name.  I like being independent.  I am not interested in a "come up"  except for the one that I earn for myself. 

However, who wouldn't want to be taken on a shopping trip or whisked away for a weekend getaway without ever having to come out of pocket for anything, but that is not everything or the basis of a relationship.  Two people should want to be in a relationship with one another because they have a mutual interest in one another not because one partner can be used like a walking ATM machine.

Moving forward awaiting a potential mate I definitely would want a man that was financially stable (has a job), but he doesn't  necessarily have to have a bank account as large as Bill Gates or Elon Musk to be my man.

Just to clarify, I'm not saying that I would not date a man that is at the upper financial echelon of society or that I only want to date a man that can only afford for me to order from the dollar menu at McDonald's.  I am simply stating that I am open to all financial possibilities when it comes to relationships and that having a large bank account is not a major requirement for whomever my future mate will be.  I want a man that is loving, loyal, listens and knows Jesus. 

Besides, I make my own money.

Thanks for reading!
(John 3:16)

No comments:

Post a Comment