Sunday, January 10, 2016

You Decide: Pretty Lie Or Ugly Truth

Photo Credit The Female Quixote Studio | www.TFQstudio.com


A few days ago, someone I follow on Twitter tweeted the question: What you want, a pretty lie or the ugly truth?  I replied that I would want the ugly truth.

I always prefer honesty to deceit even if the candor of someone's words is going to hurt my feelings.  I would rather someone tell me the truth and I feel the pang of sorrow for a little while then to be oblivious for a long period of time because someone chose to lie to me.

I think a lot of times in our minds we have an expectation of what an answer will be so we ask the question searching for confirmation to what we were already thinking.  Sometimes we receive an answer that is unexpected and we don't like it, but it's the truth.

I've been in situations like this a time or two before.  I thought I knew what the answer would be before I asked the question, but instead I received a response totally opposite of what I was thinking.  I may not have liked the answer, but it was that persons truth so I had to respect it.

I can respect when I am told the truth because in today's society the truth is so undervalued.  People feel that if they tell the truth they may not get what they truly want from a person so they lie.  They feel that a lie gets them closer than the truth.

I like to think that I am an honest person almost to a fault so I expect the truth in return, but unfortunately I don't always get that. 

So you decide, do you want a pretty lie or the ugly truth?

The Bible says, And you will know the truth and the truth shall set you free - John 8:32

Thanks for reading!
(John 3:16)

No comments:

Post a Comment