Sunday, August 2, 2015

Want To Fight?

Photo Credit The Female Quixote Studio | www.TFQstudio.com

I would first like to say that when I use the word "fight" I do not mean in the literal sense of a physical fight.  Keep your hands to yourself gentlemen and ladies.  Now, arguments and disagreements are apart of relationships.  If a person is in a relationship and starts to notice that with their mate they are having more fights than fun then it may be time to make an exit.

I am not an expert, but I think fighting in relationships can be a good thing.  Sometimes it allows a person to get crash course insight into who their mate is or who their mate will be.  Also, in my experience in a past relationship after my ex and I would have an argument we would feel closer to one another.

I think that there is a such thing as healthy fights and unhealthy fights.  A healthy fight is when there is a disagreement from time to time about an issue, but discussed in a mature manner.  During a healthy fight the couple is dealing with the issue directly.  An unhealthy fight is constantly recurring and often about petty things that do not address a major issue.  For example, an argument may start over him not taking the trash out when you asked, but it is a disguise so that you can address how you didn't like that he went all day without communicating with you.

In a past relationship I would have unhealthy fights with my then boyfriend over something as simple as what to watch on television.  It basically snowballed from there into an even greater issue.  Name calling sometimes and just an overall not so good situation.  That was an ex so we didn't work out, but surprisingly our friendship got better once we parted ways.

Any relationship can be salvaged whether there are healthy or unhealthy arguments and I know that this is such a hackneyed phrase, but life is too short to stay in an unhealthy relationship where the fights outweigh the fun.  I'm not suggesting that anyone end their relationships on account of me, but if you are in an unhealthy situation you know it and you may have to consider leaving.  Healthy fights are common and unless both parties are willing to just agree with each other without resistance then it is possible to have a relationship with no fights.  Don't hold your breath on that though.

Thanks for reading!
(John 3:16)

No comments:

Post a Comment