Sunday, July 12, 2015

The Question About Proposing



I was out on a Friday night with one of my good friends Fatima just looking to unwind from the work week.  We were standing at the bar talking and for no reason in particular I asked her if she would ever propose marriage to a man.  Without hesitation she replied, no.  I asked a few other women that were in my vicinity who I did not know the same question and they all replied with an emphatic no.  I asked them why not and the answer was simply, out of tradition.

In this society, traditionally men ask women for their hand in marriage, but for me I have not ruled out the possibility of proposing to a man.  I find it to be empowering for a woman to extend such a gesture to a man that they love.  I don't think that it is emasculating or at least it shouldn't be because the aim of a proposal in general is to convey to someone that you love them and want to be with only them.  I do understand, however, why a woman would not propose to a man, but my reasoning goes beyond mere tradition. 

I have always felt that a man's heart is fragile so he should make the conscience decision to implement the ultimate sign of love and commitment.  Men are generally hesitant in regards to settling down in relationships for various reasons so it means so much for a man to propose.  Plus, even beyond vulnerable hearts men are taught from a early age that men are leaders and as they mature into adulthood they are taught to be the head of the household.  Take charge.

I am not for or against a woman proposing to a man.  I feel that every relationship is different and the dynamics vary.  A person has to do the right thing for their relationship and own well being.

Thanks for reading!
(John 3:16)

No comments:

Post a Comment