Tuesday, February 20, 2018

The Little Things For Granted


There is no secret that a woman's body undergoes many changes while pregnant.  I use to think that pregnancy looked so uncomfortable, but each woman experiences pregnancy differently some will say that they loved being pregnant while others may not feel the same way.  So, for this post I am strictly writing from my perspective and it should not be attributed to all women. 

I have found pregnancy to be uncomfortable at times, but also a unique experience.  If I sit too long my back starts to hurt or if I stand too long my back starts to hurt.  Then in the beginning there was the nausea that never seem to go away and had me in fear that even a yawn would have me regurgitating.  This was followed by actual morning sickness that didn't necessarily happen in the morning or everyday.  My hands and feet have begun to show signs of swelling which is just another common part of pregnancy.

Now in my eighth month my belly is so protruded out it makes the simplest of task difficult.  Effortless everyday routines that I use to perform without thinking suddenly have become a methodically planned out strategy to try to accomplish.

Here are a few examples:

Putting on socks and shoes
I use to sit on my bed and bend over to put on my socks and tie up my shoes and never thought twice about the process.  Now I find myself contorting my lower limbs to put on my socks then usually with a tiny rest break I will attempt to put on my shoes.  Now, if I can just slip my feet in the shoes then for the most part no problem.  However, tying my shoes is the difficult part and if the pants I'm wearing are not very giving that is just another roadblock, but thankfully I have managed to get it done.

Rolling Over
Laying down to go to sleep can be a challenge for anyone because one must find a comfortable position.  With a pregnant belly I have had to maneuver ever so slightly to gingerly turn to find a relaxing spot.  There have been some nights when I became so frustrated that I have sat on my bed and declared in my head that no sleep will be had that night.  Not to mention that my baby seems to be a night owl so she is kicking inside me.  Nonetheless I usually lay down some way and after a while fall asleep.

Sitting Up
I have to grip the side of the bed for dear life and propel myself upward.  It feels like such a laborious task.  Sometimes I have to use my husband as leverage to hoist myself up.  This is commonplace when you are carrying a whole other person inside of you.

Dressing
These days it has come down to what fits and what's comfortable.  As far as for work attire clothing is becoming scarce, but for running errands or out with my husband sweatpants and a sweatshirt has become my normal go-to attire.  I look forward to fitting back into my old clothes.

Undressing
There was a time when I would come in the house from work or just being out and would change into my lay around clothes within a minute of having come home.  Now as a pregnant woman everything requires at least a ten second break in between or if I'm really feeling tired that day I will hurriedly take off my work clothes and put on my house clothes.  Then lay on the bed until I feel re-energized to continue with my evening.

I know that my examples may have made pregnancy sound pretty grim, but honestly a person just has to go with the flow.  Plus if pregnancy was that bad women wouldn't be out here having three and four and five plus kids.  It would be a one and done situation.  I am looking forward to my pregnancy journey to be over and it will be sooner than I expected.

Thanks for reading!
(John 3:16)

No comments:

Post a Comment