Sunday, January 7, 2018

The Word That Changed My Marriage Before It Began


I got married on September 29, 2017 in Las Vegas, Nevada.  No family or friends just my now husband and I.  We did not elope spur of the moment like many people have asked me, but we actually planned everything out.  Like most couples him and I have a tendency to argue.  Sometimes our arguments are mild and sometimes they can get really heated.  As the date approached for us to catch our flight to Vegas I was determined that our entire wedding weekend would be an argument free zone.

Well, it would be nice if I could write that I succeeded in this, but nope I didn't.  Within minutes of checking into the hotel we had a dispute and even the night before our wedding we had a small falling out.  With complete transparency I tell you I started to have some doubts as to whether I wanted to get married.  However, on the day we were scheduled to wed we woke up to the hot Nevada sun, cool attitudes and all was well with us.  We were not scheduled to be wed until 5:00 that evening and even experienced a hiccup with that.  Not us arguing, but just a snafu with the chapel.

Once the kinks were all worked out we were standing before the minister facing one another and hands locked together.  Before having us recite our vows the minister spoke to us for a few minutes about Jesus and marriage.  In regards to our relationship the minister told us that we start over fresh right now. 

Fresh. 

When I heard that word the argument from the night before and all our other spats ceased to matter.  The negative stuff just flowed right out of my body.  Fresh is the word that changed my marriage before it even began.

It was as if in that moment I was choosing to become the type of wife and woman that I have always wanted to be.  I didn't want to be a tyrant of a wife dictating instructions to my husband, but instead be the type of wife that would be a joy to her husband and nothing less.

So, now that we are married does it mean that my husband and I never have disagreements anymore?  No, but it does mean that we are working toward making each other happy, keeping the vows that we made before God and keeping Christ in the center of our marriage daily.  I'm not going to lie some days I do want to throw in the towel, but this isn't a boyfriend/girlfriend situation anymore that we can just wash our hands of when things don't go our way.  This is a marriage and difficulties are going to arise and we must learn to maneuver them together.

I know that we are still newlyweds and in the stage most people would call the "honeymoon phase" but I can honestly say that I have never experienced love in this way before.  Marriage is looking quite positive for my husband and I even with the bumps in the road that we experience.

On Sundays at my church the pastor will ask if there are any wedding anniversaries being celebrated either on that day or for the coming week.  There have been couples in my church celebrating 20, 30, 40, 50 and even 60 plus years of marriage.  That is a long time to be with someone and I am certain that in those years many situations have occurred but those couples chose to stay together and face the tribulations together.

My husband and I have a long road to walk to get anywhere near 50 years of marriage, but as long as we are willing to walk it together holding hands while drawing near to Christ it can be done.

Thanks for reading!
(John 3:16)

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this post. It made me think back to when I was a newlywed and now almost 10 year later I have to admit being married is hard but it's definitely worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a lovely post! I'm happy to here people still put Jesus at the center of their marriages. Starting "fresh" is a beautiful way to think about it. I'll remember to think of this whenever I get married :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for taking time to read my blog. I’m glad that what I have written has made an impact on you. I hope the best for you on your journey to love and marriage.

      Delete