Monday, August 29, 2016

My Pity Party Got Raided




According to urbandictionary.com a pity party is defined as: A way of experiencing grief, in which you spend your time feeling sorry for yourself and whining endlessly about how crappy your life is.

At some point during the human experience we have all thrown ourselves a pity party.  When our life is not going in the direction that we think it should or we don't get something that we desire, we start to think that the world around us is crumbling and things are simply not fair. 

A few days ago I tried to throw a pity party for myself.  It was quite random and the feelings seem to have come from out of nowhere.  I started thinking about all the qualities that I have that I think are great for a relationship.  Asking myself, "Why can't I have...?" or "Why isn't this happening for me?" and thinking that it was unfair for me not to be in a relationship. 

I know, crazy thinking!
You may notice that I typed "I tried" to have a pity party because God didn't allow me to carry on with that line of thinking for too long.  God raided my pity party. 

I started thinking about other people that are in real life situations that can be perceived as unfair.  Like a mother that is now a single parent because her husband was killed in the line of duty or parents that are at hospitals watching while their infant child is on a respirator fighting for life or people that are homeless or unemployed. 

Even in the realm of relationships, some people are constantly experiencing what would be considered an unfairness.  One person making all the efforts to make a relationship work while their spouse or significant other is not matching the efforts in return.  Or one partner taking care of the other partner because of a medical illness.

The list can go on and on of reasons that people feel that they are in unfair situations.  Thinking about all those things made me realize how small my complaint is in this giant world.  I know that those scenarios seem very extreme, but for some people it is a reality.  The point that I want to get across is, we shouldn't throw pity parties for ourselves because whatever we think is unfair cannot compare to what someone else may be going through. 

So, in the grand scheme of it all not being in a relationship is not the end of the world nor is it unfair.  At the end of the day I will always have a great family, good friends and of course, my faith in Jesus Christ.  I'm so glad God intervened in my pity party because by focusing on what I don't have at the moment I run the risk of missing other blessings and showing my ungratefulness for all my current protection and favor.

As always...

Thanks for reading!
(John 3:16)

No comments:

Post a Comment