Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Love Lost or Never Loved At All

Photo Credit The Refined Photo

In 1849 English poet Alfred Lord Tennyson was quoted to saying "Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all". Lord Tennyson wrote that in a poem titled In Memoriam after the death of a dear friend.

Now I ask you: Is it truly better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all? That is indeed a question you will have to answer for yourself. As far as for me I do think its better to have known love and lost it then to never know it. Love is one of the most powerful things in life and the love of another person is even greater. And when I say the love of another person I mean the romantic kind of love.

Its almost devastating to think that a person could go through life and not experience the look, feel and embrace of love. Those feelings can honestly not be put into words. To look into the eyes of a person that is full of love for you and you have that same love for them is amazing.

You may be thinking to yourself, if this love is so great then why does it have to get lost in the first place? Well sometimes people are great for the moments they are together, but in the long run they may not have been compatible with one another.

But to never have loved at all is to never know what it's like to put another person before yourself and feel the excitement when you see that person after being apart from each other.

Love is something that everyone should experience because it is a feeling that cannot be described.

The best definition of love can be found in The Bible in 1 Corinthians 13: 4-7 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Thanks for reading!
(John 3:16)

3 comments:

  1. This is true. Though Love is both a cause and remedy of pain, it is definitely one of a kind. There's a saying that goes something like: you never what you're missing if you've never experienced it before. I wonder what it feels like to have never loved. Do people who's never had the experience of romantic love feel like they are lacking something or are they content in not knowing that life without love is still life worth living ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a pretty deep question...I'm actually quite speechless. When I think about this quote a past relationships comes to mind and I ask myself "Would it have been better to not have loved him?" Part of me says no because I learned from the situation, etc., but then another part of me says yes because I would not have gone through the emotional turmoil, needed so much time to heal, and not have been left a little jaded. When the quote is applied to a relationship turned sour I think I lean more towards no, it's better to have loved and lost...And then I think of another past relationship where we rebuilt our friendship (we're still just friends and it's better that way) and I don't feel like I shouldn't have loved at all...very good question...very good indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. if everyone follwed the verse from corinthians the divorce rate would be 0%!!!!

    ReplyDelete